Tuesday, February 3, 2009

PCP on a Budget

I must confess as well that I have not stuck as close to the project as I intend to. My personal aim is to exercise five times a week while making healthier eating decisions every day. While the goal for exercising can easily be accomplished by managing my time better, I have found it much harder to eat healthier with less money in my pocket this time around.

I have had some quality meals provided by my parents when visiting them, and I have plenty of rice I can eat, but for a couple weeks prior to starting the project last week, I had been eating junk like the American ramen packets, which are pretty high in sodium. It is also really hard to turn down free pizza when your roommate brings it home. Needless to say, these foods haven't been giving me the energy I've needed to get through my workouts.

I hope to begin cleansing my system by eating lots of vegetables such as lettuce, broccoli, and carrots. I'll probably have to skim on fruits and eat less protein than I did last time, but I'm also looking forward to the challenge of making healthy decisions while remaining more mindful of my finances.

If you have any suggestions for more affordable meals that I can prepare, please let me know!

Until next time...

4 comments:

Amy said...

I hear ya....even harder for me than paying for the healthy food is getting everything organized, every day. Packing a PCP lunch takes at minimum 30 minutes! I have to stop buying dried fruit because it is the #1 most expensive thing in my diet. #2 is apples - I had to downgrade from Fuji apples (I was spending like $18 a week!!!) to golden delicious. I guess it works out because those are not only cheaper but locally grown.

Fortunately, when I do eat the required amounts of vegetables and take my Fish Oil to make up for some of the fat that's been taken out of my diet, my skin looks just amazing.

Patrick said...

It sounds bad but actually frozen fruit and vegetables retain almost all of their nutritional value. So hit up the frozen bags of fruit if the fresh stuff is breaking the bank. That's what I do during Japanese winter when nothing is available.

Nate said...

tiI usually bulk cook.

What I mean Is I will take some time out of my weekly schedule, on one day, where I can make 1-3 meals with 3-5 serving each. They are usually some kind of rough proportional mix of a good PCP meal, light on the carbs (whole grain pasta, brown rice, cous cous, or quinoa etc) a good mix of veggies, and for me since I am a pescetarian a fish protein or none if I need to save some cash and I just eat the hard boiled eggs. I then freeze/refrigerate and bring the portions to work for my meals or eat them at home when strapped for time.

Adrian said...

Emiko and I have one word for you: "Costco".