Saturday, February 21, 2009

I have 8 pack abs!


Not really, but I wanted to get your attention.

In Amy's last post, she asked "What are you doing to plan for a more healthy and fit future?"

For awhile I had the idea of running a marathon. After the PCP ended, I kept a regular running routine. I ran 3 miles every other day, and I did a long run once a week. My goal was to add one mile to the long run each week, until I was doing about 30 miles a stretch. I got up to about 12 miles a week before I injured my achilles, and after that, I just didn't go any more than 10 miles on my long runs. Then, about a month ago, I stopped running altogether. I don't really know why. I loved running - I wasn't doing it just for the exercise. I even ran in the rain. During one long run, I ran during a hail storm. It was what Amy would call running in "White people weather". Since I stopped running, I haven't really had any similarly lofty fitness goals to speak of, other than to eat right and to exercise as often as possible.

I think I am similar to Patrick in that it's easier for me to do things that have a definite end. I'm a very goal oriented person, and that's why it was much easier for me to do the PCP the first time around . I kept my mind on day 90, when the project would be over. Also, like Patrick, I have a meditation practice. This can be a really goal oriented activity too, and when I am sitting in excruciating pain, I keep holding on because I know that after 30 minutes, it will be over.

I know I've missed the point with both the PCP and meditation, because ideally, it's not supposed to end. It's supposed to become a part of your everyday life. But that's just where I'm at right now. Still, even though I often feel like I suck at meditating(and sticking to healthy habits in general), and that I don't do it as well as I want to do it, I feel the need to keep trying every day. It's a habit.

Until next week!

4 comments:

Amy said...

dude, if your meditation practice is really that excruciating, sit a different way. I don't think the Buddha is going to strike you dead for sitting in half lotus or, god forbid, in a chair. I know that certain zen teachers really emphasize getting into that lotus position (and it is a really solid way to sit if you can get there comfortably) but seriously. If I had to meditate in an uncomfortable position, I wouldn't ever do it.

Adrian said...

Amy, you're totally right. It's just kind of how I am sometimes. I've heard so many stories of people reaching enlightenment during moments of extreme hardship, I feel like I should push harder sometimes.

Amy said...

a'ight, man. One of my zen books does have good stretches for improving discomfort in the legs. I think it's Taking the Path of Zen.
I still think it's more helpful to follow the middle path, though, and work toward making gradual improvements in your asana. Meditation is hard enough without feeling like your knees are gonna explode.

Patrick said...

I'm with Amy on this one, sitting through serious pain is just another form of attachment. Attachment to the idea of yourself as someone who doesn't give in to pain.

I used to sit lotus come hell or high water, but now I switch up positions almost every session. I find it keeps things fresh and hasn't compromised my practice at all.