Friday, February 6, 2009

Getting Back


Just as I was hoping for in last week's post, I am finally getting back into the rhythm of a PCP lifestyle. Although I am feeling pretty sore today (two words: V-SITS!), my body is responding really well to exercising regularly again.

While I was jump-roping behind my apartment building this afternoon, I thought of a similarity between jumping rope again and getting back into a PCP rhythm: it's only getting started that is difficult. My first set of jump-ropes was really a pain, and I didn't want to keep going. But the second set wasn't so bad, and eventually the repetitive movement was quite relaxing. Similarly, after already going through a 90-day Project, it only took a concerted effort to push me back on track. I just had to get through that initial difficulty and mental resistance.

Go Bruce!

I think that because I fell back into a lifestyle of much more regular indulgence post-PCP, I forgot how nice it is to eat well and exercise every day. As Adrian said to me yesterday while working out, "I forgot how this actually feels good." Hopefully as all seven of us push our way through this beginning stage, we will all get those feelings, and settle into a healthier way of living!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so jealous that you can jump rope outside your apartment this time of year. I'm pretty sure the rope would freeze and break into a million pieces if I tried it. To say nothing of my lungs and my muscles!!!

Patrick said...

Like meditation, thinking about exercise is harder than the actual doing of it.

What's funny is that even though we all know this we still sit there and don't do it.

The mind is the most powerful thing in your body, without a doubt. Where it goes the body goes, like a trailer to a truck. Getting some control over our mental patterns is the only important task in a human life.

Can you imagine doing v-sits while balancing on your hands like that? That guy was hardcore.