Sunday, February 8, 2009

Don't Stop Believing


I spoke last week about high points and low points in the weekly cycle of PCP-world. Friday, for the first time in a LOOONG time, I had one of the worst workouts I have had in memory. I'm not really sure what caused it. I had a rough weekend sleep-wise too but managed to get back in the gym today and feel like I had a really productive weights workout. So much so that I was just exhausted to do cardio.

Although I think the PCP resistance work is great (and it taught me just how fit you can really get with body-weight only exercises), I started a program at the beginning of the year called The New Rules of Lifting for Women and I want to finish it and see how my results are.

Granted, this is because I have access to a good weight room and make time in my schedule to get there. Otherwise, the PCP workouts would be a much better option given that you can do them at home, in a hotel room, on the moon (wouldn't that be something!), and so forth.

Anyway, this phase consists of a weight routine FOLLOWED BY a bodyweight matrix that is just so, so hard to finish if you've really been lifting at a level that challenges your strength. So I guess I won't feel so bad that I can't do high-intensity cardio immediately following that.

And then there's food...I felt like I did better this week for the most part. But my brain just really, really, really does not want to do this. It's like the first time around I was at my wits end and I would try anything. But now my brain thinks it knows better and tells me to do all kinds of crazy things (skip this, eat that, do this, not that) and it gets old after a while. I've been doing some fun things to distract myself from all this annoying self-talk.

Like this weekend, I kept thinking I needed to go for a really long run or do something really 'mean' to my body because it is just not slimming down and it's frustrating. But it's my rest day and I really don't need to do those type of mean things! So during all this I built up a really cool bicycle from an old bike I had and two junk bikes a neighbor gave me. I can't wait until it's nice enough to ride outside.

At my low times I keep telling myself "when you want to quit the most is exactly when you should hang on!"

No comments: