Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Parkour and the Wounds to Prove It



So I finally went to my first official Parkour Workshop! I would say 3/28/09 marks the beginning of my official Parkour practice. I was super excited and Zach and Charles did a great job organizing the event. I had an awesome time and can;t wait to start going every saturday. 

I have to say, if it is possible for you to go to some kind of Parkour workshop please do! Everyone was there from late 40's (maybe early 50's) to 4 years old. And everyone had a blast! Not to mention my quads never hurt so bad the day after a work-out. NOt even during the most intense PCP regimen! That could have something to do with not working out well for a couple months though! haha. I also got scraped up and bruised. Which was awesome because I needed a wake-up, I needed a little pain, I have become too comfortable and that was the most alive I have felt in months.

I learned a lot of great stuff about landings, rolling, jumps and precisions, and wall-runs and top-outs. I also learned a lot about my city, and the great places it has to offer for PK.

So please go out there and move! The fact that our relatively small city and the relatively small Rochester Parkour group had over 100 people show up proves that it's in all of us to want to MOVE! And to be efficient and confront our easy lives and feel a little challenge and even pain. 

A lot of those 100+ people vaulted a bench or climbed over a wall or did a diving roll for the first times since they were kids or in their lives! It's not right. Everyone should do Parkour. Everyone should study how their body moves. We should all not be ashamed to walk around on all-fours and do handstands!

Go move! Here's to a summer of growth and progress. And here is to 5 weeks of training to get into some semblance of good shape before back-packing Europe!

So check out Zach's write up at ROCPK and the photos that go along with it!

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Amen, man.

When I lived in Morocco, I fetched my own water, walked through fields and over hills to go anywhere, and was constantly in motion. The body wasn't a shell but a tool.