Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Being Sick and Racquetball

Hey guys. So It was kind of funny to have Patrick post that last post since it kind of applies to me right now. I am sick for the second time this year. Just a throat, head and sinus thing. It sucks. But I have to say that although I'm not as gung-ho about being really up on my work-outs right now having a healthy diet certainly does help in the prevention and in this case recovery of being sick.

Sorry for not being around last week, I had a crazy work schedule and before I remembered to post it was too late. Besides that I think I'll only be around through the end of this month and will have to take some time off. I leave for my back-packing trip in May and have a lot of things to do before I leave. And a lot of things to prep as well.

But for today I wanted to continue with some brief thoughts on my idea of staying active. As Patrick has pointed out to every PCPer is that the 90 is to get you to change your whole life for the better. To take a mere 3 months and be super strict and enthusiastic and not only will you get in the best shape of your life but you will develop new habits to keep your health going. Since our bodies want to be healthy and in shape.

So although after you complete the PCP and your activity levels or diets regulations become easier and less strict you still don't feel right if you just sit around. So I recommend taking up some activities that are good for you and not only enjoying how much better you can be at them now that you're in shape, but using them to maintain if not improve still.

Today I recommend racquetball. If you can, give it a try. It's a fast paced sport with a learning curve. But the greatest thing besides burning 600 calories an hour is if you are playing it right your heart level will be elevated but you will always be able to carry on a conversation and not be winded. The best cardio-level possible. 

I also like sports that don't require to much money. Buy yourself a racquet (or an old one at a garage sale) and some goggles and you are good to go. Some places you have to be a gym member but there are places in some cities where you can rent a court. So if you get a chance try it out and here is a little vid.

Until next week.


3 comments:

David said...

I love racquetball. Hope you feel better.

Amy said...

goggles are for weenies.

I swear, the sweatiest I ever got was after a racquetball game. I won, too.

Patrick said...

Raquetball is fun but I get so pissed off when I lose at it, more than anything except Street Fighter. Something about always being so close to the ball and still losing the point?