Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Back in One Piece

I'm finally back after vacation, back home to a land flowing rich with Internet, unlike the barren land I was in.

Staying on the PCP is extremely hard when on the go, especially in the dietary area. When I was on the PCP the first time, I knew I would only be gone a couple days, so I packed all of my food in a cooler and stuck to that. This time I was gone for two and a half weeks. It's a bit tougher to pre-plan all of your food for two and a half weeks.

That said, I hardly stuck to the diet. Running around lead to lots of quick stops for food. I did gain a new appreciation for more elaborately cooked meals through participating in a team of people preparing food for a kitchen.

I've also been reminded how our bodies speak to us in a sense. When you exercise regularly and eat healthy, it's easy to hear these strong voices that tell you that you feel great. But when you are eating junk after junk, if you listen closely, you can also a hear a more subtle voice that tells you, "Enough." Sure, there's that point where you literally become sick from eating junk, but I'm referring to something that occurs before that.

I heard this today when I went out to grab something to eat. I haven't been home long and thus haven't had time to stock my fridge. Upon arriving at my destination I couldn't help but feel put-off at the thought of eating yet more fast food. I went ahead and bought the fast food anyways, but this experience caught my attention enough that I aim to see what else I can unlock.

I finished the book, "Blink" over the course of my trip and was fascinated by the power of the subconscious. We all know that our minds are a powerful thing, but it's interesting learning about how they work and what they are truly capable of. A friend of mine found a nearby meditation group for me, and I hope to continue to unlock further "voices" within.

Take care,
David

4 comments:

Amy said...

Where did you go?

David said...

I went to LA for a week and a half and to Georgia for a week. Long trip!

Emiko said...

I know exactly the feeling you mean, David! Even if I can convince myself that eating junk food is gonna be great, I always feel the worse for it. Why are our brains so powerfully persuasive? You'd have thought we had learned our lesson on junk food by now! :)

David said...

Emiko,

Seriously! It's all about convenience. We are such lazy beings.