Monday, March 30, 2009

My Theory of the Male Cycle : First Public Airing

If you ask any male of the human species who happens to be in a long term relationship with a female of the species, he will be able to tell you that his mate goes through a regular and predictable series of body changes and mood swings depending on the time of month.  For some women these swings are mild, for others, wild.  

I have know women who, like clockwork, have an easy month followed by a manic one.  I have known some who get a zit in the same place every single cycle.  I've seen it all, elation, depression, swollen parts, dry patches, hot flashes, and cold stares.  I've even helped a few ladies through menopause.

We have come to expect, and respect, the fact that a woman's body is an extremely fine tuned organic wave pattern.  There's a consensus that a female is simply more physically and emotionally complicated than a man, which I mostly agree with.

But I wanted to write about how men actually operate in their own mysterious cycle.  This is a fact that most couples overlook and which causes a lot of unnecessary strife in relationships.  

Most of this is based on my own experience keeping track of subtle changes in my mind/body condition during the years of yoga and meditation.  But once I lay out my theory to other guys they seem to recognize similar patterns in their own lives, once they know what to look for.

So, here's what I've figured out so far:

  • The male cycle lasts about 3 months.  Whether this has anything to do with the seasons has yet to be determined but that would make sense.

  • It is characterized not so much by changes in mood, but by fluctuations in motivation and energy levels.

  • The cycle is defined by two polarities:

  1. The high point, in which a guy is eager to work, has a creative boost, and feels more positive and in control about the direction of his life.  A lot of things will finally get done in this 1-2 week period.
  2. And the low point, the male becomes more introverted.  It can be hard to muster excitement for even fun activities.  At this time the male will question his choices and motivations.  He will tend to stick to his dwelling or usual hangouts.  There will also be a strong need for solitude or solo activities.
  • There is a similar arc in the sexuality of the male, although libido runs along a smaller series of cycles that are harmonious with this 3 month cycle.  (I.e, the guy will feel keen sexual desire at both the highest and lowest points of this cycle.  During the inbetween times the desire for sex will diminish.)
  • When the cycle is at odds with life events, the shadow-side of the high and low points will arise. In practice this means that motivation can become aggression, and quiet solitude depression.

So, how can we use this information to make our lives run more smoothly?

First, guys need to start paying attention and identify where they are in their own cycle.  This can be established pretty easily once you're on the look out for it.  Once you've got a handle on this, start doing what I call "surfing the wave".

If you've ever tried real surfing, you'll know that you can't catch every wave.  Sometimes you're in the wrong spot, and no amount of paddling is going to get your board where it needs to be. So you just let the wave wash under you, and keep your eyes open for one that will be in the right place at the right time.
So, for example, you have a new project that you want to take on.  Think about your timing and try to align the time that the project will require a big push with the 1-2 week high point of your cycle.  Similarly, if there is a lot of grunt work to be done at some point, that is an ideal kind of activity for the trough of the wave, when it's hard to be creative and visionary.

And moms, friends, spouses, and sisters, you too need to tune in to the male wave pattern.  Knowing that a guy is entering his low weeks, beware that it will be tough to get him to do much, but that it's not forever.  In a few weeks he'll be back to his old self and in a few more weeks he'll be your ideal man again.  Of course, that's only for a brief time too!

I've labeled this cycle with "high and low points", which isn't the best phrasing because it makes one sound desirable over the other.  In fact, like any wave pattern, the peak wouldn't exist without the trough.  The low point of the cycle is in fact when the seeds of creativity and problem solving are sown.

Naturally I've got a lot to say about this but I'll stop here for now.  Try to investigate these things for yourselves and get back to me with correlating or contrary evidence!

And guys, don't sell yourselves short.  In your own way, you have just as many deep unexplored aspects of yourselves as your female counterparts.  Learn to work with these subtle forces rather than fight against them.

9 comments:

Adrian said...

Interesting concept. I've noticed these patterns in myself, but haven't thought about it as much as you have. I am going to be more mindful of it from now on.

Nate said...

Weird we were just talking about cycles on amy's blog! You know I have never really thought of this before but I think you are right. Patrick, you come up with the craziest s**t that makes so much sense! I will have to be more mindful of this too Adrian. Right now I think I'm in the low point. Or actually coming out of it. However when I feel "introverted" and need "alone time" is when I have the most creativity which seems opposite of what you are saying Patrick but it could be a personality thing. Because when I feel great and sociable and ready to work I just bang out the big physical projects. And since I rarely have the chance to channel the creativity it places I want like in my art I go through this really witty, sarcastic, and cynical period (like right now) where I come up with some great dialogue! lol

Great post. Cheers to the man-cycle!

Patrick said...

Your right Nate, I didn't phrase that very well, in the low points creativity is high, but for me it's kind of doodling ideas on the back of napkins creativity. Then when the next productive cycle comes around I have the energy and problem solving to make the napkins become a spreadsheet.

Anonymous said...

This may be a theory, but I'm going to take it as & treat it as truth. Because it makes sense in my experience. And why fight the waves?

Nate said...

Patrick - Right on that makes sense. For example with my art I have times where I start a handful of paintings. I lay down the foundations, and get a theme going. But then I usually don't finish them until a few weeks or months later. When I know exactly how to make them "complete." Usually it's just s small addition in relativity to the amount of work that went into the foundation. I'll have to keep track now and see how those painting stages relate to my man-cycle. lol.

Gwen - You can't fight the waves of the man-cycle! Move over women and the moon the man-cycle is here to stay! Haha just playing. Except I do agree you really shouldn't fight it.

PS my word-verification "extual" sounds dirty

Emiko said...

Nate, you make me laugh too hard. Extual....!

I will also try to be more mindful of Adrian's man-cycle. We'll see what is to be learned!

"I just fell off my man-cycle... I need training wheels." -Adrian

hahaha
emiko

Patrick said...

I was talking to Amy and she referred to this as "manstration" Heh heh.

Nate said...

Manstration! yes!

Priceless

Anonymous said...

Ah, you are getting in touch with your hunter/gather self there. That's why it is so seasonal. Look no further than the original length of sporting seasons. We've extended them all beyond their natural time span. I have a whole theory about men, women and men's hobbies (particularly sports) that ties into this. If women live by the month, they are forced to wait for the men to come back (mentally, sometimes sexually) from some 3 month hunting(sport season) thing. Women don't want men without hobbies. They just want to feel as important as. I define hobby loosely and am in part talking figuratively. I won't make your eyes glaze over by going on and on about it. But it certainly is a real wave.