Monday, April 6, 2009

Perform Your Own Gastric Bypass!

In the last few years, Gastric Bypass surgery has become all the rage.  Magazines love to put stars who have lost weight on their covers, and this applies even to those who arrived there via stomach surgery.  To see some stars who've undergone this operation check out this link.  The surgery is actually pretty simple.  The doctors open you up, snip your small intestine, and attach the intestine just BEFORE the tube that enters your main stomach organ.  The stomach is bypassed completely, and your new stomach is just the little pouch where food normally gathers just before entering the digestive tract.  This graphic illustrates it well.  That little empty tube on the bottom left?  Yeah, that's where your intestine USED to attach.  Cool/gross factor here.
The average person loses 100-150 pounds after gastric bypass.  This is not done through willpower or a special diet, it simply happens because, with a stomach the size of an egg, patients can't physically eat enough to keep putting on the pounds.

There is something to be learned here for the rest of us who are simply trying to maintain healthy weights:  
When your stomach is full, food loses its power over you.
We all know this process.  Go to an all you can eat Chinese buffet.  The first trip up, the food looks and smells so wonderful.  So you load up your plate and chow down.  The second trip up, the exact same food starts to look a bit heavy, a bit sickly under the lights. But you go for it anyway.  The third trip, what just 30 mins earlier looked delicious is starting to seem repulsive.  I've been to a few Thanksgivings where I've been so full that I literally couldn't look at food anymore.  Indeed, one of the universal signs of "I'm stuffed" is holding up the hand, closing the eyes, and looking away.  That's how gastric bypass patients feel after a small serving.  Cravings and willpower just aren't an issue anymore.

I got onto this line of thinking last week when I had a busy day where I didn't have a chance to eat lunch.  That afternoon I had to go to the department store.  In Japan the basements of department stores are where fine foods are sold and served.  So I was passing all these counters filled with pastries, cakes, delicately fried dishes, and glistening juicy morsels at every turn.  It was hard to ignore it all, and I soon broke down and bought my favorite sweet red bean pancake sandwich, Obanyaki.  Yum!  But a bunch of empty calories that won't make me any healthier.  It wasn't the particular quality of the food that tempted me, it was the state of my stomach as I passed the food.  A little lightbulb went off above my head.
1. Leverage the power of a full stomach.  If you physically fill up your stomach, even a chocolate swirl cheesecake with whipped cream and blueberries won't have the slightest pull over you.  You will be invincible.  The trick is, of course, to fill up your stomach with good stuff.  Fruit is your go to food here.  Eating a whole apple will add negligible calories to your diet, but will leave you feeling full for a few hours.  Also, as we've discussed at length, switching to a 6 small meals a day approach to eating will keep you topped up and craving free.  You can also use water or tea to fill out your stomach if there's nothing else available.

2. Shrink your stomach organ.  No surgeons required.  Just as we can stretch out our stomach organ if we consistently overeat, we can allow it to shrink back to a more natural size.  Most people eat far more than their caloric needs.  If you can just start to cut the amount of food you eat, the stomach will protest a bit (i.e, will tell you it's hungry), but will eventually become smaller in response.  Suddenly what a few weeks ago would have left you feeling unsatisfied now fills you up.  Portion control!

Why spend energy fighting cravings, when we can largely bypass them entirely just by thinking a bit ahead and always keeping our smaller sized stomachs full of good stuff?  Who's in?

3 comments:

Susanna said...

I love you Patrick. I know that this method is effective, yet it doesn't *always* work for me. Nine times out of ten, a bowl of oatmeal or an apple will top me off and fill me up wonderfully. But there's always those emotional or depressing days when no matter if I'm full or not, I wanna have that little brownie just because I'm feeling worthless. (And then, yeah, the brownie makes me feel *more* worthless. Will I ever learn?) A

nyway. A highly valuable post indeed and always a good reminder. To read about what gastric bypass actually does is frightening. We are really changing bodies here. Very strange. So, the stomach goes completely unused?! It just sits in the body? So freaking strange. But it would be a nice luxury to just get gastric bypass and never have to worry about overeating again. So tempting, that if it were free and safe, I may want to do it even though I'm not overweight (I'm simply a teensy bit too fatty).

Oh, dear, I've not been exercising this week either. Why? Just because I've been "busy". Tsk tsk. At least my schedule requires that I walk long distances daily. But that is just an excuse

Patrick said...

Yeah Susanna, sometimes you've just got to feed your soul with a delectable food. That's ok! We're not trying to be monks here. But it takes a lot of self awareness to understand the difference between enjoying something for the sheer pleasure of it and eating out of stress and emotion.

I'm definitely a "stress eater" and I find myself rationalizing food choices. "You had a tough day, plus you bike to work when most people drive, so it won't hurt anything" kind of stuff.

If you're having an internal dialogue about whether or not to eat something, that's probably a good sign you should pass on it.

Susanna said...

I find that the more I do try, the more I can overcome it. Since I started noticing that "internal dialogue" that goes on when I'm debating about whether or not to eat something horribly unhealthy, slowly but surely I find myself being able to take the better route more often. And yes, sometimes when I'm having that internal dialogue, I'll quickly chug a glass of water to make my stomach a teensy bit too full.

I do worry about my younger brother, though. He is 12 and is known to eat 4 hot pockets within an 8-hour span... and he is a very chubby kid. Sometimes I do think there is no hope for him overcoming it, but maybe when he goes through puberty and shoots up to being 6 feet tall he will lose the fat...